Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Tuesday 4 Meme- Books

 



Books

 Welcome to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4.  We ask 4 questions each week to get you talking, thinking, questioning and seeing how your friends feel about things too.   It helps us get to know other bloggers.


Let's think about books and reading this week.

1.Do you have a favorite place to read? Maybe you can post a photo of it or describe it for us?  My area is just my normal chair in my living room.  It is comfy and quiet.  

2.Some say reading makes a person more educated, more informed.  Do you think novels do this in any way? Do you learn things from novels?  Would you tell us what you have learned?  I do learn when I am reading.  I learn a lot when I read historical fiction.  I do learn a lot just reading any type of book though.  I read a book called Before We Were Yours and it was about Georgia Tann.  She would have children kidnapped and then sell the kids to families wanting to adopt children.  It was a great book, very sad...but true.  I had never heard of this.  I can say the same thing about several historical fiction books I have read.  Before we Were Yours actually follows some fictional children, but when Lisa Wingate was writing this book, she talked to several survivor children from this time to create her characters.  Georgia Tann was thought to have stolen over 5,000 children.  She adopted them to wealthy families, some kids were abused and some were killed.  This happened between 1924-1950 in Tennessee.  Joan Crawford and June Allyson adopted from Georgia Tann and the wrestler Ric Flair was a child stolen by Georgia Tann.

 

3. Are there any books on your list to read right now?  I love to read, there are currently 105 books on my TBR list.

4, Which books did you like the most and which did you dislike most?  I enjoy psychological thrillers (I was a psychology minor in college), historical fiction and romance the most, but I like to try all genres.  This will be an unpopular opinion, but it is mine...I do not enjoy cozy mysteries at all.  They are so boring to me.  I do enjoy Agatha Christie and suspense as well.  



9 comments:

  1. Interesting answers. I've never read that book that you mentioned, but now I want to. It sounds really sad, however. I can't imagine how those families felt whose children were stolen...and those poor children. Wow, what a story! I need to "check that one out". I do like cozy mysteries, and prefer to read fiction from a Christian perspective. But I will save my answers for my post, which I haven't done yet. Thank you for your answers. I am going to look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I see we have similar likes and dislikes in the reading department. I read the book about the kidnapped children. It's such a sad story. I never liked murder mysteries and cozy mysteries. But the last few years, I've been trying to expand my reading to include them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book Before we were yours and didn't realize it was based on a true story. So crazy. I agree, great book, but heartbreaking. I didn't know that about Joan crawford. Wow. Haha...I actually enjoy cozy mysteries..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "Before We Were Yours" several years ago and loved it (it's hard to say loved it because it was such a tragedy what Georgia Tann did) But it was based on history that I wasn't aware of before reading it. I can't believe someone could treat children like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listen to audiobooks each morning while checking emails and blogging, yes reading helps us learn stuff. I like books on history and books about the royal family have started to be of interest to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. 105 books!! Wow. I don't think I have read that many in my life. Books teach us a lot, like with the Tann book.. how awful some people can be sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was into cozy mysteries but they have become like Hallmark movies for me. They are all pretty much the same with no surprises and happy outcomes. A fun Tuesday 4!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lori, I learned something from your post today. I know you love to read. My parents were avid readers. My granddaughter is too. She has created her own personal library for her room. She wants to be a writer someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have known people who were stolen from their families. Native children. They were "given" to socalled christian families, who made them deny their own language and culture. The siblings were split. My friend was able to find her sister, a few weeks before she died they saw each other again. She also located her brother, but he wanted no contact at all. So sad....

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.