Saturday 9: Bonanza (1959)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Bonanza ran on NBC for 14 seasons. Today it's rerun on Me-TV and TVLand. Were/are you a fan? I was a little young too fully enjoy this show, but I do like it.
2) The show centers on The Cartwrights, who lived on a massive ranch in Nevada. License plates in Nevada read, "The Silver State." What's on your license plate? The Show-Me State
3) Ben Cartwright made his fortune as a cattle rancher. What's the last beef dish you ate? I am going to say a cheeseburger. I cannot remember the last dish with beef.
4) Patriarch Ben had his eldest son, Adam, with his refined, bookish first wife, Elizabeth. Unfortunately, Elizabeth died in childbirth. Still Adam inherited her love of the written word. What's the last book you finished? The Smell of Sweet Magnolias and Memories by Celeste Fletcher McHale. I am almost finished with Still Life by Louise Penny though.
5) Ben's second son, Hoss, was born to his second wife, Inger, who was killed as the family traveled West by wagon train. Hoss inherited her open, friendly manner and her way with animals. Are there pets in your home? Yes, we have 3 dogs...Mandy a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Molly a part corgi an part blue heeler... she is a sister to Mandy....same mom different litter. Then we have Meisha. She showed up at our house and we have had her ever since. She is part black lab and not sure what else.
6) Ben's youngest, Joe, arrived after Ben married a third time to the passionate Marie, who died in a riding accident when her son was only five years old. Little Joe inherited her impetuosity. Do you consider yourself more spontaneous or predictable? I am mostly predictable, but every now and then I will do something spontaneous. Usually in the form of a road trip.
7) Samuel Clemons was a reporter in Virginia City at the time when the Cartwrights would have been there, and a fictionalized version of Mr. Clemons appeared in an episode of Bonanza. Without looking it up, do you know Samuel Clemons' famous pen name? yes, but only because I live in Missouri. My roommate would always say...she was meeting her family in Hannibal...home of Mark Twain. We learned about Mark Twain in middle school.
8) Hair was a big deal in the Bonanza dressing room. Three of the original four stars -- Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker -- all wore hairpieces. (The fourth, Michael Landon, began dying his hair while still in his 20s because he was going prematurely gray.) Have you ever worn a wig or a hairpiece? no
9) Random question -- Tell us the story behind one of your scars. There is a really ugly scar on my right arm. It is starting to fade, but it was so gross at first. It seriously looks like I cut myself or something, but it is a scar from my curling iron. My co-workers do not understand why I would have a burn like that since I have naturally curly hair. They have a point. ...different curl pattern is the reason.