Pages

Friday, January 6, 2023

Saturday 9: What's New, Pussycat?


 


Saturday 9: What's New, Pussycat? (1965)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.



 
Welcome to the first Saturday 9 of 2023.

1) In this song, Tom Jones wants to know what's new in his girl's life. Here at Saturday 9, we're concentrating on the new year. What do you hope will be new and different in your life during 2023?  I would like to go and do more non work-related things this year with my family.
 
2) He sings that he has flowers for his special girl. Are there fresh flowers in your home right now?  I still have poinsettias in my house.
 
3) He also wants to spend hours with her. What is something you'd like to spend more time doing in 2023? I had mentioned in another meme or blog post that I did not have much to look forward to this year and that I was apprehensive about the New Year.  I need some things to look forward to, like a day trip or going to a movie.  It does not need to cost a lot of money, but set some things up.  I think Josh would enjoy Memphis and that is not far from where we live.

 
4) Before his music career took off, Tom Jones supported himself by selling vacuum cleaners. Could your home benefit from a once-over with a vacuum right now?  It could always benefit from a once over with a vacuum, but it isn't too bad.
 
5) Memorabilia from Tom's 1990 world tour was available eBay and the bids went up to $599 a jacket worn by the stage crew. Have you ever bought anything at an auction (online or otherwise)?  no

6) Tom's adult grandson, Alex, represented Wales in rifle shooting in the Commonwealth Games. Is there a sport you'd like to try, or get better at, in 2023?  I have several friends that play Pickleball and I hear it is a good game for the aging community.  I would try that.  I loved playing tennis when I was young.

7) In 1965, when this song was popular, Tom Jones made a new friend, Elvis Presley. Tom had a meeting at Paramount Studios to discuss recording a song for a movie soundtrack and Elvis was finishing a film. It was the beginning of a friendship that would continue for the rest of Elvis' life. Did you make any new friends in 2022?  I did!  I met a lady at work named Debbie.  She was working in the classroom next to me last year.  We became good friends and we work together this year in my classroom.  The teacher she worked with last year retired and my assistant had a baby and is staying home for a while.

8) Also in 1965, The Sound of Music premiered and became one of the most successful movies of all time. Have you seen it?  Oh yes!  That is a favorite at my house.

9) Random question: Were you like those shoppers we saw on TV, in line at a retailer after the holidays to exchange a gift that wasn't quite right?  no, I have only exchanged something once.  I really wanted the item, but I needed a different size, so I exchanged it and was able to wear it.  I am not really one to return gifts.  I love anything anyone gives me.



9 comments:

  1. I don't really have anything lined up for this year, either, and like you I really need something fun to look forward to. I won't have vacation time until November so a weekend getaway would have to do...and it would!
    I can just imagine Josh's excitement about Memphis and Graceland. You should go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what pickleball is but ask your friends to teach you. A day trip can be a lot of fun! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Susan, I don't know what pickleball is! I need to look it up.
    Touring Graceland can be very pricey. But visiting Sun Studios is VERY affordable. There's also a bus tour I wanted to take but never had time. It takes you all around Memphis to places Elvis hung around. I think that would be great fun, too.
    https://www.backbeattours.com/tours/elvis-johnny-cash-tours/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 I tried to keep the poinsettias all year but they turn “woody” after awhile.
    #6 I can’t believe that the Pickleball craze has grown so fast. The town is converting some tennis courts over to Pickleball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sapphires are pretty. I'm taking my decor down today (7th). Hoping to get it all done today. I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to think pickleball was something made up. Guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your answers, Lori! I've heard Memphis is a great city to visit and the food is supposedly delicious! Keep us posted! Happy weekend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to look up Pickleball. I guess you play ping pong with a wiffleball on a tennis court. Seems like fun. I love tennis but it's a little much for me at 80. Hope you have a great visit to Memphis with your son this year. Take care, have a great week, and we'll meet up again next Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thatś so nice: meeting someone, become friends and be able to work together. I hope you both have a nice time.

    Pickleball...had to look it up. Found out the Eurogames were in my town last year.

    Enjoy your weekend, see you next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.