Pages

Friday, July 10, 2020

Saturday 9- 77 Sunset Strip

Saturday 9: 77 Sunset Strip (1958)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) 77 Sunset Strip was one of TV's early hits, running for six seasons. Before this morning, were you familiar with this show?   no

2) The show's jazzy theme is punctuated by finger snaps. When you snap your fingers, is the left-handed snap as loud as your right-handed snap?  no, not quite as loud.


3) The show revolved around Bailey and Spencer Investigations. Stu Bailey and Jeff Spencer were among TV first "private eyes." Who is your all-time favorite TV PI?  Monk, I love Tony Shalhoub!  Such a funny show too.


4) Their office had "a fancy label," meaning an attractive address, on Los Angeles' Sunset Blvd. Tell us about the prestige area of your neighborhood.  
This one has been on the Today show.  The Pensmore Mansion.  Pensmore is one of the largest homes in the United States located in the Ozark Mountains near Highlandville, Missouri, that spreads more than 72,000 square feet, reaches five stories, contains 14 baths.  I believe the builder of this home was experimenting on how to build more sound homes.  It is said to be able to stand an EF-5 tornado.Pensmore, massive mansion near Ozark, continues construction

5) Next door was Dino's Lodge, the real-life restaurant and bar owned by entertainer Dean Martin. Are you a Dean Martin fan?  I don't guess I really have an opinion either way.  I don't watch everything he did, so maybe not.  


6) The valet at Dino's was Kookie. He was known for his perfect hair, his slang ("ginchy" meant cool, "germsville" was the hospital, "a dark seven" was a bad week) and his desire to someday be a private investigator, like Stu and Jeff. Do you think you'd be a good detective?  no, I don't think so.  I am not good at hiding and being secretive.
 
7) Stu and Jeff had a loyal secretary named Suzanne, played by French actress Jacqueline Beer. She was married to adventurer Thor Heyerdahl, who famously traveled from Peru to French Polynesia by raft. Does 100 days on a raft, sailing the south seas, sound fascinating to you?  no, not at all.

8) Clint Eastwood was fan of the show and, in the 1990s, tried unsuccessfully to bring 77 Sunset Strip back. Is there a show from the past you'd like to see "rebooted?"  It seems like they are never as good as the original.  I was excited to see Dallas when it was re-booted, and I did watch it and I liked it until J.R. died for real.  I loved Larry Hagman.  I can't think of anything I am just dying to have a re-boot of.

9) Random question: Thinking about the last week, did you nag anyone? Or were you the one who was nagged?  Neither one.

15 comments:

  1. I watched the Dallas reboot, too! I found I was more interested in the original three -- Bobby, SueEllen and JR -- than I was the next generation.

    That mansion sure deserves its fancy label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your answers :) You're right about the reboots. They are usually a bit disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you and The Gal about the Dallas reboot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was interested in the Dallas reboot, but somehow never got around to watching it.
    That is some house! Does anyone actually live in it?
    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so, I think it was a government experiment for building. Not sure why it is so huge. I am actually not sure if anyone lives there. They never seem to finish with their building. It is supposed to be all new types of materials, etc.

      Delete
  5. Wow to that Pensmore Mansion! Who needs 14 bathrooms? LOL It's hard enough keeping two clean! Fun questions again today! I enjoyed reading your answers. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, can you imagine? This is the country, so it looks weird here.

      Delete
  6. I watched Dallas and started the reboot. I am getting more done now that I am not watching so much tv. I forgot I had that sailboat siggies. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn’t get into the Dallas reboot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pensmore looks more like a church or convent than a house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I think it is ugly. So, I believe the guy who built it works for the government and this is a house that is built using all of the newest building trends. The walls are super thick. I think they were experimenting a little. In any case...it doesn't really fit in here in the country. I honestly am not even sure anyone ever moved in there. It was all the talk here several years ago. I haven't heard anything lately.

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of that humongous building as many times as I have been in Missouri. I'm going to have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on hwy 65 between Highlandville and Branson...on the left if you are going south to Branson.

      Delete
  10. Back in the day, "Dallas" was Appointment Television ... I don't think we even dared answer the phone when it came on. LOL. I'd love to see inside that building but sure wouldn't want to live there. Can you image the costs to heat and cool it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.