Pages

Friday, July 3, 2020

Saturday 9- You're a Grand, Old Flag

You're a Grand, Old Flag


Unfamiliar with James Cagney's 1942 version of this song? Hear it here.


1) The flag we currently fly, with 50 stars and 13 stripes, was designed by a high school student. When Alaska and Hawaii were added, President Eisenhower invited Americans to submit designs for how best to incorporate the two new states. Ike chose 17-year-old Robert G. Heft's submission from more than 1500 entries. Tell us about a contest you entered and won. (Or really hoped to win.)  I can't remember what it was, but when I was in middle school our teacher made us write a story and she entered those stories in something, but mine did not win.  I was musical, so I tried out for All State Honor Choir and I made that, but that is not really a contest is it?  It was a try out...like cheerleading.  I was a cheerleader too.

2) The government also has another of Mr. Heft's designs waiting: one that incorporates a 51st star if another state is added. When you were in school, did you memorize the states and their capitals?  Yes, we did

3) Six American flags have been planted on the surface of the moon. Those are undoubtedly the flags farthest from you this morning. Where is an American flag flying near you today?  We have a flag that flies outside our house.

4) This version of the song was performed by James Cagney in the 1942 classic, Yankee Doodle Dandy. Have you ever seen it?  I had to look up a preview and I do not remember seeing it, but I can tell you I have sang many of those songs featured when I was in choraliers in high school (song and dance group).  

5) In that film, Cagney portrayed George M. Cohan, the composer of this week's song. In 1940, Cohan was honored by with a Congressional Gold Medal. In presenting him with the award, President Roosevelt specifically thanked Cohan for "You're a Grand Old Flag," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and "Over There." What's your favorite patriotic song?  Star Spangled Banner and God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood.

6) Though a performer his entire life, Cohan disliked listening to recordings of his own voice. How about you? Do you like your singing and/or speaking voice? Oh NO!  My voiced is squeaky, I think it is so annoying to listen to on tape.

7) James Cagney won the Oscar for Best Actor his performance as George M. Cohan. Also nominated that year was Gary Cooper, who portrayed Lou Gehrig in Pride of the Yankees. Tell us about another movie about a great American.  42 was really good about Jackie Robinson.  Selma was wonderful (Martin Luther King Jr.)  I have not seen it, but I am positive that I will love the movie about Mr. Rogers.  

8) As a teen, Cagney juggled high school with a variety of jobs, including bell hop and delivery boy, and gave all his earnings to his family. Looking back, Cagney was grateful that he had to begin work early, saying, "I feel sorry for the kid who has too cushy a time of it. Suddenly he has to come face-to-face with the realities of life without his mama and papa to do his thinking for him." Do you agree?  Yes, I do agree completely!  I see young people making poor decisions all of the time, but that is how you learn.

9) Cagney had a rebellious streak. His boss, studio head Jack Warner, nicknamed Cagney, "The Professional Againster." Cagney joked that he enjoyed earning the title. What about you? Are you rebellious?  not really.  I can be, but it is so random.

Happy 4th of July!!!



12 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, I also lie God Bless the USA. It reminds me of 911. still have the page I did when we all did something to honor those that died on 911. Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tom Hanks/Mr. Rogers movie was quite moving. I wasn't that familiar with Mr. Rogers before, as I only knew him as the guy in the sweater my kid sister watched on TV. But he was such a loving man who really "practiced what he preached."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like God Bless America sung by Kate Smith
    I never heard God Bless the USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a very Happy Fourth of July. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great movie choices. I’ve got the Mr. Rogers film on a DVD and have to find time to watch it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gret answers. have a great Fourth!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mr. Rogers movie with Tom Hanks is wonderful. The documentary is also wonderful. I cried at both. I grew up loving Mr. Rogers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 4th! Mr. Rogers is a great movie! We watched it a couple of weeks ago. Don't miss it!! I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It never even occurred to me to attempt cheerleading. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed visiting with you today and trust you will have a great Independence Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I practiced at home to try out for cheerleading, but didn't have the courage to try out. I never liked being in front of people, although that is something I have tried to overcome for the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you were an awesome cheerleader with your sunny, upbeat personality! You know what's terrible? I live in Mr. Roger's hometown and I still haven't seen the movie. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.