Pages

Friday, July 17, 2020

Saturday 9- Flipper


Saturday 9: Flipper (1964)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Flipper ran for three seasons, from 1964 to 1967. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan?  Yes, I think I have seen it once or twice, but it was on before I was born.  It looks cute.

2) Brothers Sandy and Bud consider a bottle-nosed dolphin, named Flipper, their pet. Do you currently share your home with any animals?  I have two dogs...Meisha and Molly.


3) Bud and Sandy's dad was Chief Warden Porter Ricks of the fictional Coral Key Marine Preserve. In reality, the show was filmed in Miami and Key Biscayne. When were you last in the ocean? Which ocean was it?  It has been a long time since have been to the ocean.  It was the Atlantic Ocean.  We were in Florida at Cocoa Beach.


4) There was no one single "Flipper." In close-ups, the role was played by a dolphin named Susie. While Susie was good at interacting with people, she had trouble with stunts, and sometimes a male dolphin named Clown was brought in for action sequences. Do you consider yourself more social, like Susie? Or are you more athletic, like Clown?  I am more social, but I still try to workout even though it is getting harder for me.

5) Without looking it up, do you know the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?  I don't think so. No, I looked it up and we saw the dolphins in Alabama in the Gulf, but I do not think I have seen a porpoise. 

6) Flipper wasn't just a TV pet. He was an industry! During the show's run, Flipper comic books, coloring books and puzzles were very popular. As an adult, do you entertain yourself by reading comics, coloring, or completing jigsaw puzzles?  no, I just read regular books.  I did notice when we first when on quarantine that many of my friends were doing puzzles.  I have been able to keep busy with books.

7) The Flipper lunchbox was also a big seller. It came with a Thermos topped with a red cup. Do you own a Thermos?  no
 
8) In 1964, when Flipper premiered, it was up against The Outer Limits and The Jackie Gleason Show. If those were your only viewing choices, would you watch the family show about the dolphin, the sci-fi anthology show, or the comedy-variety show? (Or would you rather flip through a magazine?)  Flipper for me, I love dolphins.

9) Random question  -- Which would you be more comfortable explaining: how a car engine works, the current IRS tax brackets, or the rules of baseball?  rules of baseball.  I have been watching St. Louis Cardinals inter-squad games this week.  We still cannot hit.  Hahahahahaha.  Oh well, I am just excited to watch them play. 
 

15 comments:

  1. #9 -- I'm so jealous of you that you can watch your guys! The Cubs management is STILL fighting with Comcast/Xfinity about televising games. I suspect it's just a pose on the Cubs' part: with no tickets/hotdogs and beer/parking spaces to sell, they're going to need TV revenue and Comcast/Xfinity is the dominant cable provider here. But I'm getting desperate. Rizzo needs me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He DOES need you! St. Louis is streaming their games on their website and we watched one on MLB app free.

      Delete
  2. We have an The Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League (ACBL) team in town, the Triple A team left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers today.
    We do have a couple of the same answers.
    Have a good Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your answers. Hope you have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cocoa beach... memories of my youth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know baseball was back on. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I didn't realize there were dolphins off the Alabama coast. Being it's only a few hours away, I'm cross at myself for not yet taking the drive! I've no space to set up a jig-saw puzzle, but someone said there's an app to be found for the tablet. Wheeee! Have a beautiful weekend, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we went to Orange Beach we would watch the dolphins play in the ocean every morning. That is when I would see them. Then of course we went on a dolphin cruise and they followed along. They are so cute!

      Delete
  8. I've never been to the Gulf Coast but it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have a major league baseball team to root for.. to actually get to see live! We have a a training league for the Red Sox here, but they aren't very good! I would love to go see the RS sometime when we are in Boston to see the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching on tv, there are no fans, but I have seen them live many times in the past.

      Delete
  10. I'm not a big baseball fan but do watch the Phillies with Joe so I understand the game and most of the lingo. Joe was a good baseball player when he was in high school. Fun answers today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading a lot of books, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.