Pages

Friday, May 14, 2021

Saturday 9- Don't Get Around Much Anymore

 




Saturday 9: Don't Get Around Much Anymore (1942)

Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, our lonely Romeo shares how he amuses himself these days. Which of the activities that he mentions have you most recently enjoyed: playing solitaire, reading a book, or listening to the radio? listening to the radio.  I listen while I am driving to and from work.  I am still on a reading break.  School will be out soon though and I will start reading again.

2) The lead singer is tenor Bill Kenny. Which range is your voice: soprano, alto, tenor or bass? alto

3) When Bill was on vacation in Atlantic City, he entered a series of talent contests and won 21 of 22. This led to his first professional booking. Tell us about a vacation of yours that took an unexpected turn.  Josh and I went to San Antonio with Karl's sisters and kids and the condo we had booked was very dirty.  We were without a place to stay for a bit.  It was a rough start, but it was a pretty good vacation.

4) This song was composed by Duke Ellington. He received many honors, including a coin struck in his honor. In 2009, he graced the District of Columbia's commemorative quarter. Do you save coins in a jar or piggy bank?  Karl does.

5) In 1976, Stevie Wonder recorded a tribute to Ellington called "Sir Duke." What's your favorite Stevie Wonder song?  I kind of like part Time Lover.

6) The lyrics were written by Bob Russell. When he began his career, he shared an apartment with future novelist and TV screenwriter Sidney Sheldon. Have you ever tried your hand at writing lyrics, a novel or a screenplay? no, I used to write short stories when I was young and some poetry, but that is all.  Josh has started writing a few novels.

7) In 1942, when this record was released, the federal government established a rationing system to conserve crucial supplies for our troops. Sugar was the first food to be rationed, followed by coffee and then meat. If you were around back then, which of those items do you think you'd miss the most? Sugar

8) Also in 1942, actor/singer Peter Tork was born. Without looking it up, do you know why Peter Tork was famous?  no, I looked it up though, so I know now. 

9) Random question -- Have you ever deliberately lost a game?  Yes.  I let kids win at games sometimes.  I am not a person that always let's them win, but I want them to keep interested and if they always lose, well they will not want to play and get better.  The fourth graders beat me at Connect Four fair and square.  I started out winning, but they got better and I did not....hahahahaha.



10 comments:

  1. #3 -- That must have been concerning, to be in an unfamiliar city with no place to stay! Glad the trip turned around for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking of visiting San Antonio in 2022. I am going to a crafty Glamping Camp and hubby may join me at the end so we can do some sight seeing. That is great that Josh is writing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all of your answers especially #9.
    WOW, Josh has started writing novels, that's terrific.
    You now I'm not a reader but I'd definitely would read
    his writings.
    #3-Glad your trip turned ok.
    Have a great weekend.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see vacation cottage from a different perspective. All around me are vacation rentals, my neighbor used to rent out their cottage. I say "used to" because last their place got trashed by college students and they caused thousands of dollars in damages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to visit San Antonio one of these days!! I've always wanted to "do" the RiverWalk...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grin, thanks Lori. I hope you have a beautiful weekend, smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you are looking forward to summer break! This year I'm doing something new...starting a job. Hopefully by the end of the month if not before, but part-time so I'll still have time for the grands. I forgot about Part-time Lover...that's a good one, too, and definitely from our hey day. Ha! Love the story of playing Connect 4 with the students. :) Have a great weekend, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for school to end this year. I have never been so excited for a year to end. But I am hopeful for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never played Connect 4. So I'd probably lose! I hope you enjoy your summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to let the grandkids win at board games now and then for your same reasons. They can now beat me fair and square too! LOL I enjoyed your post, Lori!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.