Pages

Monday, May 31, 2021

Memorial Day

 I wanted to share this poem my Uncle Gary wrote when he was in Vietnam.  He also died there, so today on Memorial Day, I remember him.  He was my dad's youngest brother.
Here is a picture of him.  It is the only one I have of him as an adult.  I have one of him with my dad when he was a little boy and I do not have his military picture.  I never met my Uncle Gary.  He died the same year I was born.



Vietnam

Here I am in Vietnam
So many miles from home
But though I am so far away
I know I’m not alone.


As I was nearing Vietnam

I almost shed a tear

As I bowed my head in heartfelt prayer
Dear Lord, remove my fear



And when the plane landed
It was plain for me to see
That here in this dense jungle land
I would have no luxury


This war is mean, and this war is cruel
And many men must die
Yet there seems to be no answer
To our single question Why?


There are no boys in Vietnam
So onward we must go
For all the units fight bravely on
To conquer Viet foe



The people here in Vietnam
In this small community
They know the real meaning
Of the words real poverty


To stop the Communists
Is the reason we must try
For in it lies the answer
To our simple question Why?



And back home I miss you all

And if there is something you want to do

Say a prayer that this war will end

And I’ll soon be home with you.


                             …Gary Lee Burkett




1 comment:

  1. I am sorry for your family's loss and also sad that you never got to meet your Uncle Gary. So many young men didn't return from Viet Nam. The poem is definitely a keepsake and gives you some insight into who your uncle was. So thankful for the many who died for us. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.