Pages

Friday, May 21, 2021

Saturday 9- The Way You Look Tonight

 



The Way You Look Tonight

The Way You Look Tonight (1936)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) They lyrics tell us that no matter how low the singer feels, it will raise his spirits to recall the way his lover looks tonight. Share a special moment in your life that brings a smile to your lips, no matter what.  The day Josh was born and many childhood moments he had when he was little and I was staying home with him. ♥

2) This song was introduced by Fred Astaire in the 1936 movie, Swing Time. It won the Oscar for Best Song. What's your favorite movie song?  I think this one just came to mind because the next movie is coming in November, but Danger Zone from Top Gun.  I am so excited for the next movie.  I love Tom Cruise.  Kenny Loggins had so many movie hits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E



3) Though today Fred is revered as a Hollywood legend, producers had to be convinced to give him a shot. The initial notes on his screen test were: "Can't act. Slightly bald. Also dances." Tell us about a time when someone underestimated you.
My mom underestimated my academic abilities when I was young.  She always questioned whether I could do the advanced classes.  I also went to college and did fine there too.  I am not sure why she had no confidence in me.  
 
4) Fred's legion of fans includes Jackie Chan. The martial arts star says Astaire's movies influenced the way he choreographed the Kung Fu fight sequences in his films. Mr. Chan is one of the most popular film stars in the world. Have you seen any of his movies?  Oh yes.  I like him very much.  I enjoyed the Rush Hour movies.
 
5) Fred was always fascinated by new things. In the 1970s, when he was in his late 70s, he took up skateboarding and became so good at it he was awarded life membership in the National Skateboard Society. Have you been skateboarding? If not, is it something you're tempted to try?  I did try to skateboard when I was younger, but it didn't really excite me that much.  I more enjoyed riding my bike.
 
6) Fred's friends were amused by his passion for daytime soap operas. In the days before video recording, he would call home from the club house at the golf course and ask his maid what had happened that day on his favorite "story," As the World Turns. Is there a show you try not to miss?  I have quit watching some of my shows because they are doing too many current events stories and I do not enjoy that.  I have quit watching A Million Little Things and New Amsterdam.  I will go with Good Doctor as my not to miss show.  I LOVED As The World Turns by the way.  I never missed it either.   

7) In 1936, the year this song was popular, the US patent office issued a patent for the Zippo lighter. Beginning in WWII and for decades after, Zippo lighters were issued to our soldiers. During the Vietnam War, troops had their lighters engraved with personal mottos. What's something you have had engraved or personalized? What did it say?  We have a silver spoon engraved with Joshua's name and birthdate on it.  My parents had one made for me too.  I do not have much engraved stuff, but I have t-shirts that I wear to school with my name on them, I also have a lunch box with my name personalized on it.

8) Also in 1936, a killer tornado struck Tupelo, MS. Have you ever been in a tornado? How about a hurricane or an earthquake?  We actually had a tornado in the area just a couple of weeks ago when I was at school.  We had the kids in the hall and were even asked to move them to the bathroom where it is safer.  I live in Missouri...so we have a lot of tornados.
 
9) Random question -- We're creating an action figure of YOU. What two accessories should we be sure to include in the box?  Probably my cell phone and a hair scrunchie.  I always have some of my hair pulled up and my cell phone is close.




10 comments:

  1. #2 -- I want to see the new Top Gun, too! The "coming soon" poster was on display at my local theater last year when everything shut down. When it finally arrives, it'll be a sign that the pandemic is over.

    #8 -- There have been a few times when I've moved into the bathroom when during a tornado warning, but fortunately there's never been a touchdown near me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Top God and am looking forward to the new one. We have a 3-D TV and one of the first 3-D movies we bought was Top Gun (there was a brief time when they remade a lot of movies in 3-D). I've been disappointed that I have never been able to get that one to work. I am stuck imagining how awesome the flight scenes would be.

    Ouch. It's tough when the people who love us the most don't have faith in us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine living through a tornado (but then I know there are people who can't imagine living thru an earthquake).

    I love "New Amsterdam," but I think the recent chemical spill was a bit over the top! I was a big "As the World Turns" fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 really saddens me...we were discussing something similar yesterday on how my parents are so disappointed in me, still. It is just so sad. ANYWAYS, Have a great day friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1--Such a special memory.
    #4--I have probably seen all of Jackie Chan's movies.
    Have a nice day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had a tornado scare during an awards assembly at school once--we had to hover in the hallway, I know what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think bad weather is better than earthquake at least you usually get warnings about storms coming while earthquakes just happen with no warning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sweet - I can only imagine the joy that comes to mind every time you think of your sweet boy. I now live in Tulsa, which is said to be tornado alley. Ugh. I hope I never experience one of those. When we were kids, Mom watched As the World Turns every day, and in the summer, we watched with her. We would always tell Daddy of the current happenings when he came home from work. As if he would want to know. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like The Good Doctor, too, and have gotten tired of New Amsterdam. I liked it the first couple of seasons. Tornados are scarier than hurricanes (I think!). We have a 3-4 day notice of hurricanes. Tornados just happen so fast. Scary. Happy weekend.. with no bad weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There have been some bad tornadoes in the south of late. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.