Pages

Friday, May 28, 2021

Saturday 9- If You're Reading This


 



If You're Reading This


Saturday 9: If You're Reading This (2007)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?  There is not one in the town I live in, but there is a National Battlefield in a city close to us.  This is what Google says about it - Wilson's Creek National Battlefield:
Wilson's Creek National Battlefield, located near Republic, Missouri, preserves the site of the Battle of Wilson's Creek. Fought on August 10, 1861, the battle was the first major American Civil War engagement west of the Mississippi River

2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.
My Grandpa Oslin (my mom's side) was in the army and served in WWII.  He was stationed in Germany.  My Uncle Gary (on my dad's side) served in Vietnam and was killed in action.  I currently have a nephew (Brian) who is in the National Guard.  This is my Papa (Grandpa) Oslin.


3) Similarly, we're grateful to those who served on the front lines during the Covid 19 pandemic. Tell us about anyone you know who was an essential worker, a first responder or administered vaccines. They deserve a shout out, too!  My nephew Brian in the National Guard has been stationed all over the state of Missouri at vaccine places.  I am considered an essential worker because we are in school in person and have been all year.  My husband is also an essential worker, he does commercial construction.  I know the definition of essential worker is different from state to state though.  In Missouri everyone is back to work...even if they are still working at home.  Most people are back in their offices though.

4) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?  no, it is crazy weather in Missouri.

5) What's your favorite picnic food?  fried chicken


6) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room?  air conditioner


7) This week's song is about a heartbreaking situation. The lyrics are a letter from a soldier to his family, which was only to be sent in the event of his death. What's the saddest song you have ever heard?  Oh gosh...the first song that came to mind is Teddy Bear by Red Sovine (1976).  I used to cry when I would hear it as a kid.  You can google the lyrics if you need a good cry.  Beautiful.  Here it is too if you want to give it a listen.



8) This week's featured artist, Tim McGraw, has a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's near those honoring William Shatner and Julie Andrews. If you could have lunch with one of those luminaries -- Tim McGraw, William Shatner or Julie Andrews -- which would you choose?  Julie Andrews I suppose.  I love her movies and I love to listen to her sing.


9) Random Question: Think of the last thing you bought. Was it a wise purchase?  Oh I don't know.  I bought some hair products from the Ulta sale, but I am waiting on them to arrive.  If I like them, it will be a good purchase.  I like to try different hair products.



14 comments:

  1. Hi Lori:
    I like the song Teddy Bear and I like Julie Andrews.
    I don't like eating outside but I do like potato salad.
    I'm still wearing my winter clothes and we have the heat on.
    Have a wonderful day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 -- THANK YOU! As a nation, we couldn't have come through this pandemic as well as we have without folks like you and your family. (Thank you again.) The facility where I got my vaccination was manned by the military and I was touched by their manners and efficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the song Teddy Bear. It was a sad song. I was thankful for all the essential workers like you. My niece was working as a nurse in the hospital when Covid was at his heaviest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot that I am an essential worker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are enjoying the holiday at home grilling. We visited the cementary to place flags and flowers for love ones something we have done as a family for a long time. Enjoy your weekend 😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard that song Teddy Bear. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here, essential workers were expected to work in farmers’ markets and grocery stores but it took a long time for them to get immunized.
    Never heard ,”Teddy Bear”. I’ll go listen to it. Lots of sad songs today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your answers. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hubby is in commercial construction, too, but that wasn't considered essential here...but landscaping was. Go figure.
    A big thanks to all of your family who has or is serving (military or during the pandemic)!
    I haven't thought of the song "Teddy Bear" in ages. Surprising since my hubby loves those old trucker songs and movies. We just watched "Convoy" again the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Lori! I just wanted to pop by and wish you a very happy Memorial Day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy weather here too, last week it was in the 90's, today barely 50. lol. Have a great upcoming Sunday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flying through to catch up while I have a bit. I enjoyed your answers! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Memorial Day Lori, the weather here is crazy too! I would totally have picked Julie Andrews too! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pic of your grandpa! Your random question answer... goodness, I love hair products and accessories, that's my weakness lol. I just ordered a bunch of new accessories and am waiting for them to arrive. I should say, 'anxiously', lol :)

    Have a gorgeous week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.