Pages

Friday, August 27, 2021

Saturday 9- Friends in Low Places

 



Friends in Low Places

SATURDAY 9: FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES (1990)


Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Garth Brooks tells us he wore boots to a black-tie affair. When did you most recently get dressed up? What did you wear?  I do not get really dressed up anymore, but I did dress up a bit for Open House.  I wore the jumpsuit I wore to my nephew's wedding.  

2) The lyrics refer to The Oasis, which was a real bar in Concordia, Kansas. What's the name of the last bar or restaurant where you ordered a beverage? (Yes, Dunkin' counts.)  I ate lunch with my co-worker Wende.  She also teaches Pre-K.  We ate at a Mexican restaurant called El Lago and I ordered a Dr. Pepper there.

3) Garth was having a stellar 2021. He kicked the year off by performing "Amazing Grace" at President Biden's inauguration in January, and then over the summer he received the prestigious Kennedy Center Honor. Now that we're past the halfway mark, how's your year going?  It is going really well.  I am already hearing of cases of covid at the school though, so here we go.  My husband (Karl), his parents just had covid, but are totally fine now.  They did not get sick, just a small cough.
 
4) But earlier this month, Garth cancelled the remaining August and September dates of his big concert tour. He's provided refunds for the 350,000 tickets that were sold. How do you tend to react when plans change? Are you easily annoyed, or do you roll with it?  I roll with whatever is going on.   That has come with age and covid making me spread myself so thin and do all kind of different things last year has shown me I can roll with the changes.

5) Before he sang about having friends in low places, Garth hung around in some. When he was as a struggling performer, he supported himself as a bouncer. What's the most physically taxing job you've ever had?  Probably the job I have now teaching pre-k.  I dance and play with the kids everyday.  It is tiring, but good tiring.  My knee hurts though.  I need to stop jumping up and down as we dance.  Hahahaha.  It is only physically taxing to me because I am old.  It was not hard at all when I was younger.
 
6) According to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), Garth surpassed The Beatles as the top-selling recording artist of the last 30 years. Who do you listen to more often: Garth or the Beatles?  Garth, but I love the Beatles too.  I just do not own any of their music.  I do own Garth's.

7) Garth and singer Trisha Yearwood have been happily married for 15 years now. Trisha says that as much as she loves her husband, his whistling drives her crazy. Come clean: what's your most annoying habit?  I HATE that I laugh nervously so much...like I say something and laugh.  It is awkward.  I think my other bad habits would not bother others.

8) In 1990, when this song was a hit, Soviet President Gorbachev traveled first to Ottawa to meet Prime Minister Mulroney and then to Washington DC to meet President Bush. Do you have any travel plans? We want to hear about them, even if you aren't meeting any politicians or heads of state.  I do not have any travel plans at this time.

9) Random question: Your dear friend spends weeks planning a party. After just 30 minutes, you find yourself having a terrible time. Would you leave at the earliest (polite) opportunity? Or would you stay till the bitter end out of loyalty?  Ok, please don't judge me,  but I hate parties.  I loved them when I was young, but not anymore.  Now, if my dear friend was having a party, I would likely stay to help clean-up, but I would WANT to leave. 


10 comments:

  1. another no-party lover! Good answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your family is recovered from covid! What a relief for you.

    And I just wrote about how taxing caring for wee ones can be. Kudos to you for patiently handling a roomful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only time I get dressed up are for this fundraiser dinners that they serve rubber chickens for an outrageous price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you--not a fan of parties either. Glad to hear your family has recovered from COVID!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a party fan here, either. Bless you for doing you job and doing it so well!! My jumping and dancing days are over, I know that for sure! LOL Have a good weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're having a lot of Covid cases at school--and close contact means that we've gone to remote learning. I hope we both are safe and healthy this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alas, I am salivating at the mention of a Dr Pepper. IO love them but can't drink them any more. until I lose my weight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate parties, too. My husband is a big Dr. Pepper drinker. I haven't had any in years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Pepper was my choice when I use to drink sodas. I hope you stay healthy. I use to get sick a lot when I was a preschool teacher. My infertility doctor said I had to give it up and I did and it paid off. I don't mind going to family parties. I went to a big outside party of a dear friend but it was outside which was great! But I am not as social as I use to be. I think with your job, you just want to chill! Have a great weekend Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My youngest grandson is pre-K and you have my respect. I am exhausted and achy after a day with just him. I would probably be dead after a day with a whole room full of kids that age. LOL So glad your husband and inlaws had mild cases of Covid and are doing well now. We have been very fortunate not to have any family members have it so far. I keep praying that we continue to be blessed...and everyone else as well. Have a great Sunday, Lori!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.