Pages

Friday, August 20, 2021

Saturday 9: Woman in Love

 



Woman in Love

Saturday 9: Woman in Love (1980)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Barbra dreams of love. What's something you've been dreaming of, or wishing for, lately? (It doesn't have to be romantic.)   I have really been thinking about a vacation lately...not soon, but maybe next summer?  Covid has everything all messed up, but we will see.  I know I have been off all summer, but I mean a real vacation where I go somewhere else besides my house.

2) She sings that she and her lover are oceans apart. Tell us about someone who is far away, and that you wish was nearer this Saturday morning.  The ones I love and care most about are all close by.  I am very fortunate.

3) This was a #1 hit for Streisand, so popular it knocked Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" out of the top spot on the charts. Are you a Freddie Mercury/Queen fan?  I LOVE Freddie Mercury and Queen! ♥♥
 
4) This song was written specifically for Barbra by Barry and Robin Gibb of the BeeGees. During the late 1970s, when the BeeGees were riding high on the success of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, she let them know she was a fan and would love to record one of their songs. The collaboration went so well that they ended up writing not one but nearly a dozen songs for her. Tell us about something that went way better for you than you predicted it would.  Open House this past Thursday.  We are starting a lot of new things this year with our pre-k kiddos and getting that information out to the parents.  I was really worried Open House would be crazy because of this new stuff, but it went well.  I have 16 kids so far.

5) Barbra traveled to Miami Beach to record this song in Barry's favorite studio. Have you ever been to Miami Beach?  no, I wouldn't mind visiting though.
 
6) Barbra went to Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn. She had a mad crush on one of her classmates. That boy was Bobby Fischer, who grew up to be an international chess champion. Do you remember one of your big high school crushes? Do you know whatever became of him or her?  The only real high school crush I had was for David my high school boyfriend.  He is living in New Mexico now.  We are friends on facebook and I had his nephew in class last school year.  Most of his family still lives here.

7) Barbra is responsible for the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart Center at Cedars-Sinai. It's dedicated to the study of heart disease, its impact on women, and the search for more effective treatment. If you could fund a not-for-profit, as Barbra has done, what cause would you champion?  I have always wanted to run an animal sanctuary.  There is this lady on facebook that takes care of all animals.  Her facebook page is called Josh and his Critters.  She is amazing and lives in the L.A. area.  I have followed her for years and she has saved a lot of animals.  She has lost a lot too, but she loves them and they at least know love before they pass.  Her heart is HUGE.  
 
8) In 1980, when "Woman in Love" was popular, Macaulay Culkin was born. He's best known for the Home Alone movies. Have you seen them? If yes, did you enjoy them?  This is crazy, but I refused to watch those movies because they looked so stupid.  Last Christmas I finally decided to watch the original and also Home Alone 2.  I loved them! 

9) Random question: On social media, people keystroke LOL all the time. When is the last time you literally laughed out loud?  Well I am back to work, so I have been with my friend Kris.  I am sure she did something crazy to make me laugh more than once this past week.



9 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about planning a trip for vacation. I would love to travel anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7 -- Our charities would be on the same path!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your siggie is so cute! I sure hope you get a vacation next summer. We have several planned over the next 3 months. Good to hear that school is going well. It is going well for my grands though two of them have to wear mask. They are dealing with it because they want to be in school. They don't wear them outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto with the charities--our local shelter is my favorite charity. Love the new blog design, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check out Josh and his Critters.

    It must have seemed strange to be teaching your ex boyfriend's nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most of us are dreaming of a "real" vacation. To me, that means traveling somewhere and not having to make beds, do laundry (until I get home), and having someone else do all the cooking! Fun questions and I enjoyed your answers! I think you are an amazing teacher, Lori! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could go for a vacation, too! I'm so tired of looking at these four walls and the same old, same old every day. I'm glad the school year is going well for you so far and hope it continues. Have a great weekend, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your school year goes well. We are not planning a vacation this year; next year, maybe? It will depend on how things go. At the moment the idea of a hotel does not appeal to me. Maybe some day trips this fall unless the virus is still rampant.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.