Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend (1983)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) The lyrics tell us Dolly Parton has spotted a fella who twisted her ignition key and turned her motor on. That was in 1983. Keys are less common today, since many cars are equipped with with push button ignitions and more doors now open for those who know the key pad code or have the right swipe card. What's the last thing you used a key to start or unlock? My car.
2) Her potential new boyfriend bought her a drink and she thanked him real sweet. Have you more recently said "thank you," or been thanked yourself? I said thank-you. I am always saying thank-you to my kids at the school.
3) This is Dolly's first music video. "Potential New Boyfriend" was a top 20 country hit and made #13 Billboard's Dance chart, yet it's not well remembered today. Share a song from one of your favorite artists that the rest of us Sat 9-ers might not know. I thought about sharing Been Caught Stealing by Jane's Addiction, but I kind of think some of you have probably heard of it. The video is weird, so I will share TechN9ne's song Red Kingdom...the song of the KC Chiefs. :) I think I first heard this song when they went to the Superbowl a couple of years ago.
4) This is not Dolly's first song about a romantic rival. Her hit "Jolene" was inspired by a bank teller who regularly flirted with Dolly's real (not potential!) husband, Carl Dean. Have you recently fallen victim to the green-eyed monster of jealousy? If yes, what were you jealous of (someone's affections, possessions, success ...)? Not lately. I am usually happy for other people. I am happy with my life.
5) Dolly enjoys telling interviewers she met Carl at the Wishy-Washy Laundromat in Nashville. Do you have a hamperful of dirty clothes awaiting you? Or are you all caught up with that particular household chore? I love to do laundry. I do need to do some this weekend though.
6) Dolly Parton's Imagination Library makes free books available to children. It was begun in 1995, and by 2020, her charity had distributed 150,000,000 books! When you were a very young reader, what was your favorite book? Probably something by Dr. Seuss. I had several of his books. I have a lot of Dolly Parton's Imagination Library books in my library at the school. I have always worked for school district's that are in the under privileged category and get these books. The parents have shared many of them over the years.
7) Andy Warhol was fascinated by Dolly. When he asked her what her perfect meal would include, she responded it would have to start with chicken and dumpling soup. How would you have answered Andy? What's your perfect dinner menu? Maybe fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob and hot rolls. Then some kind of pie for dessert.
8) Thinking of chicken ... In 1983, when this song was popular, McDonald's introduced McNuggets. Today, it's one of McDonald's most popular menu items. Are you a fan? not really
9) Random question: Would you rather visit a desert or a jungle? I would enjoy visiting both, but I have a lot of friends that live close to the desert. Maybe I would want to see what they love so much.