Pages

Friday, October 14, 2022

Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend

 



Potential New Boyfriend

Saturday 9: Potential New Boyfriend (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us Dolly Parton has spotted a fella who twisted her ignition key and turned her motor on. That was in 1983. Keys are less common today, since many cars are equipped with with push button ignitions and more doors now open for those who know the key pad code or have the right swipe card. What's the last thing you used a key to start or unlock?  My car.
 
2) Her potential new boyfriend bought her a drink and she thanked him real sweet. Have you more recently said "thank you," or been thanked yourself?  I said thank-you.  I am always saying thank-you to my kids at the school.

3) This is Dolly's first music video. "Potential New Boyfriend" was a top 20 country hit and made #13 Billboard's Dance chart, yet it's not well remembered today. Share a song from one of your favorite artists that the rest of us Sat 9-ers might not know.  I thought about sharing Been Caught Stealing by Jane's Addiction, but I kind of think some of you have probably heard of it.  The video is weird, so I will share TechN9ne's song Red Kingdom...the song of the KC Chiefs. :)  I think I first heard this song when they went to the Superbowl a couple of years ago.



4) This is not Dolly's first song about a romantic rival. Her hit "Jolene" was inspired by a bank teller who regularly flirted with Dolly's real (not potential!) husband, Carl Dean. Have you recently fallen victim to the green-eyed monster of jealousy? If yes, what were you jealous of (someone's affections, possessions, success ...)?  Not lately.  I am usually happy for other people.  I am happy with my life.
 
5) Dolly enjoys telling interviewers she met Carl at the Wishy-Washy Laundromat in Nashville. Do you have a hamperful of dirty clothes awaiting you? Or are you all caught up with that particular household chore?  I love to do laundry.  I do need to do some this weekend though.
 
6) Dolly Parton's Imagination Library makes free books available to children. It was begun in 1995, and by 2020, her charity had distributed 150,000,000 books! When you were a very young reader, what was your favorite book?  Probably something by Dr. Seuss.  I had several of his books.  I have a lot of Dolly Parton's Imagination Library books in my library at the school.  I have always worked for school district's that are in the under privileged category and get these books.  The parents have shared many of them over the years.

7) Andy Warhol was fascinated by Dolly. When he asked her what her perfect meal would include, she responded it would have to start with chicken and dumpling soup. How would you have answered Andy? What's your perfect dinner menu?  Maybe fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob and hot rolls.  Then some kind of pie for dessert.

8) Thinking of chicken ... In 1983, when this song was popular, McDonald's introduced McNuggets. Today, it's one of McDonald's most popular menu items. Are you a fan?  not really
 
9) Random question: Would you rather visit a desert or a jungle?  I would enjoy visiting both, but I have a lot of friends that live close to the desert.  Maybe I would want to see what they love so much.  


8 comments:

  1. I love your attitude toward life. That's lovely!

    It's cool that your school library has been able to benefit from Dolly's program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7 I would substitute rotisserie chicken for fried chicken and maybe add some cranberry sauce.
    #8 It looks like Sat-9ers are not fans of fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of my nieces & nephews with small children take part in Dolly's library. It's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolly Parton's library is not available here; I tried to sign my great-niece up for it and they said they didn't serve my area. Which I thought was weird since I live in Appalachia. Anyway, I love your dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much.. I am sharing the comment I wrote to you on my post with you here so you will see it.
    Oh, Lori, thank you so much for your encouraging comment. And thank you for receiving it in the spirit in which my post was written. I have been feeling so long that the church needed to be more vocal, but that old separation of church and state thing which is not even a reality. It isn’t that we do not speak up in church about the evil among us ; it was written to protect the church from government imposing rules on it. Protection from the state. But people use it to say oh you can’t talk politics in church, but when politics are driving evil practices on our children, economy, education, just about everything we hold dear, then the church had better stand up. I am so glad you are in agreement and
    I am convinced this is what God wants to see from His church, Christian’s spending more time up in prayer and broadly sharing their Jesus story. Jesus name should be spoke everywhere not hate, division, crime, drugs, etc! Here I go preaching again. But Lori
    I am praying for you to seek to become bold in talking to your friends about spiritual things and that it will become a blessing in your life! Thanks again, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our school district has a lot of low income families, too. My kids always had tons of books and when the school announced over 50% of the students were below the poverty level and that made all the students eligible to get books from RIF, I wanted to donate a lot of books to the school's library. They said no. So I talked to my daughter's teacher and she was thrilled to get them as she gave books to the kids for free as a reward and also had her own little library in her classroom. I'm glad other parents pass on the books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken dinner sounds really good. I have not made fried chicken in a long time. Now with air fryers, it is fast, easy and not messy. We have always had access to books. We do operation Christmas Child and I like to include a book in my box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the desert. I used to live there part time. I love what you said about being Happy. Happy is a state of mind, something a friend told me a long time ago. You do have to chose it, and keep it. Have a lovely week, at home and at work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.