Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Tuesday 4 Meme- The End of October


 

The End of October


In the Catskill Mountains/Hudson Valley of New York

1. Do you give out candy on Halloween to neighborhood kids? Did you ever.. have you always?  I have not given

out Halloween candy since covid.  I live where not many kids come to trick or treat, so I just kind of never started back up giving candy.  I always did give out candy before covid though.

2. We must dress up as this Halloween.. Yes, you have to !   What will your costume be this year?  Maybe a black cat or an angel.  Nothing scary.  Last year at the preschool I dressed up as The Cat in the Hat, but I got so hot (menopause) and this year we have to walk around outside, so I am just going to dress up in a Halloween t-shirt and wear some cat ears or wolf (school mascot) ears.  I haven't decided yet.  I am leaning toward the cat ears.

3. Have you ever carved pumpkins?  Have you visited the gorgeous Hudson Valley in New York state?  We carve a pumpkin every year in my pre-k class.  We open it and I let the kids play with the pumpkin insides and then I carve it a face for our Halloween party.

4. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving takes place in Sleepy Hollow a town known today as Tarrytown, NY. a lovely town in the Hudson Valley not far from the Catskill Mountains, site of Rip Van Winkle.     The Hudson Valley is considered one of the most beautiful places in America. The Hudson separates NY from New Jersey      Do you know the Legend of Sleepy Hollow? How about Rip Van Winkle? Do you believe either could be based on true stories as some believe?  Why/ why not?  I am familiar with both stories, but I actually did not know anyone believed they were based on true events.  I am not from that location, so I always assumed it was complete fiction.



6 comments:

  1. I don't know the history of those "legends" either, but many fairy tales are based on some kind of reality, just embellished to make it a good story...so anything is possible. I like your idea of a costume that isn't too hot. Usually here in Florida it is still very warm on Halloween, so heavy costumes are always hot. Not sure how it will be this year. We've been having some cooler temps than normal for us, so maybe it will actually be a little cooler. How fun to carve pumpkins with the pre-k kiddos. I know they have fun with all of that, and kids love to play dress up!! Have a happy time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supposedly the basis of the stories are from morality lessons. I love that you carve pumpkins with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun plans. A black cat would be fun and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the legends. Can't imagine they are based on true events. Cat ears are good!! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just folklore, traditional campfire stories. As long as they are for fun, that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoyed your answers, thank you for stopping by. Something easy for a costume sound great and understand the whole menopause thing *that is for the birds* have a great week

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.