Pages

Friday, August 28, 2020

Saturday 9- Buttered Popcorn

 





Saturday 9: Buttered Popcorn (1961)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?  Oh gosh!  I love them all.  I think some buttery movie pop corn sounds good.

2) This record represents the Supremes as they are seldom heard. Florence Ballard is singing lead, with background vocals provided by Mary Wilson, Barbara Martin and Diane Ross. That's right, "Diane." Her parents meant for her to be named "Diane," and that's what old friends and family still call her, but the hospital mistakenly put her name down as "Diana." Motown execs thought "Diana Ross" had a better sound and the rest, as they say, is history. Do you often make typos? Or are you careful and precise at the keyboard?  I make a lot of typos trying to type fast.

3) Barbara Martin left the Supremes in 1962, before they reached stardom, because she was a new mom and wanted to stay home with her baby. Have you ever found yourself in the difficult position of having to choose between your personal and professional lives?  it seems like that happens a lot with us. 

4) Florence Ballard's cousin, Hank, wrote the famous Chubby Checkers dance record, "The Twist." When did you last get on your feet and dance?  I was dancing in school today to some music one of the teachers was playing.

5) Mary Wilson stayed with the group until it disbanded in 1977. She has said that one of her most memorable moments came in 1968, when the group performed for Princess Margaret. Mary recalled that the Princess loudly asked if Mary's hair was real or a wig. Mary was shocked, expecting better behavior from a royal. Tell us a time when someone's behavior shocked you.  I am not often shocked by people's behavior, but my husband's family is really different than me.  I have mentioned this before, but during my son's 4th birthday my sister-in-law caused a scene at Josh's birthday...it was his royal birthday...he turned 4 on the 4th...I had invited my family from Oklahoma and my sister-in-law was showing her ass so to speak.  She was yelling and fighting with my husband.  I told her Josh's party was not the time for that kind of behavior and I asked her to leave...which she did not.   They were never invited to Josh's birthday again.  My family did not want anything to do with them after that and I didn't speak to her for probably 5 years.  I had to let it go and forgive her, but I still do not hang out with her.  I would expect someone to come to my house and respect my son's day and have fun...not fight and act like a jerk.

6) In 1961, when this song was released, the TV show Hazel premiered and was a top 5 hit for NBC. Oscar winner Shirley Booth played the title character, a very capable and lovable maid. If Crazy Sam could have a maid for just a few hours today, she'd love to have her refrigerator cleaned and kitchen cabinets organized. If you could have a pair of helping hands around your house this afternoon, what would you ask the maid to do?  My kitchen also needs attention.  I have been cleaning on the rest of the house over the week.  I think organizing cabinets sounds like a wonderful idea.

7) Also in 1961, President John F. Kennedy appeared on the cover of Time as their Man of the Year. Are there any magazines in your home right now? If so, who is on the cover?  I only have a Missouri Conservationist magazine and it has animals on it.

8) Ernest Hemingway died in 1961. Have you read any of his works?  I don't think so.

9) Random question: How many pancakes are in the perfect stack?  It depends on how big they are.  I will say 3 kind of medium sized ones.

I know it isn't fall yet, but I do not have a lot of time for messing with my blog now that school is back in session, so I decorated it the other day to get it done.  The first week with kids went great at the elementary and I am so super busy.  The day goes by so fast.  I am loving it so far and it is really different.  The kids are doing good with all of the changes.  It is the adults that have problems. 



12 comments:

  1. I really love your new background! Public schools have not opened here in our country though some private schools have. That is sad that your sister in law messed up your son's party. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the wallpaper that you are using for wallpaper on your blog.

    #5 There is a lot of drama in my family but the person doesn't show up for family events (Weddings and funerals) any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad about Josh's party because at 4, he was certainly old enough to know what was going on. The day should have been about him!

    Glad the kids are doing well at school. Now fingers crossed for the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What dreadful behavior from your s-i-l!! I don't understand how people can act like that. And to ruin her nephew's party? Total selfishness.

    I love the fall blog look! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horrible behavior from your SIL. I would have been livid

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your background, smiles...oh on family, sigh. My mother in-law cursed me out a our dining table, in front of a lot of family, she has never nor will she ever be invited in our home again. I know mental illness is a horrible, but its not an excuse to act ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't participate in Saturday 9 today,
    but I love your new Autumn background.
    Have a great Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear school's off to a good start for you! It was chaos for me but I think it will settle down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciated the update on the school situation. Three pancakes! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great background today! Autumn feeling! I have a sister like yours. We didn't speak for a year but have let that heal. I don't know why people have to be like that! Chill, people, chill!! Happy weekend, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some people have no sense at all and it sounds like your SIL is one of them. I have one like that. Sorry you do, too. The other one is an angel from Heaven. She is so amazing.
    I love this new look to your blog! So glad you got to dance to some music at your small school. Be safe, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrible thing to do to your son's birthday!

    Another 3 pancake person.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.