Pages

Friday, July 5, 2024

Saturday 9: The Star Spangled Banner

 



The Star Spangled Banner

Saturday 9: The Star Spangled Banner (1991)
... because Thursday was the 4th of July and we're still celebrating!

Unfamiliar with this Whitney's rendition? Hear it here.

1) Whitney Houston originally performed this in front of over 73,000 at the 1991 Super Bowl. What's the biggest crowd you have ever been in?  It would probably be when we visited Disney World.  Average attendance is 57,000.

2) Whitney's version of The National Anthem was released 10 years later, after 9/11, and the proceeds went to support New York's first responders. It was her last Top Ten single. What's your favorite Whitney Houston song?  I Wanna Dance with Somebody.  I Will Always Love You belongs to Dolly as a favorite (for me).

3) Whitney's friends recall she loved lavender -- both the color and the scent. What's your favorite color? What's your favorite scent? I love all of the colors.  My favorite scents are bakery scents.  My house has a lot of bakery smell candles.  Cinnamon Pumpkin, Hot apple pie, sugar cookie. 

4) Whitney had a sweet tooth and loved Fruity Pebbles. If you reached for a snack right now, would it be sweet or salty?  I feel like salty right now.

5) Whitney's grave marker bears the words, "I Will Always Love You," so clearly her family is proud of her best-selling recording. How would you like to be remembered?  Someone who cares deeply about my family and friends...a teacher who loved her students.

6) Going back to 1991, when this recording was first popular, consumers who had a cell phones likely had flip phones. Technology has come a long way, hasn't it? What did you most recently use your cell phone for? (Calling, texting, looking something up, taking a photo, posting on your blog or social media ...) I think it was to look something up.  I am always looking things up.

7) In 1777, Colonists celebrated July 4 with the firing of cannons and muskets, followed by a public reading of the Declaration of Independence. What did your neighborhood do to celebrate the 4th of July?  We watched the fireworks on tv from New York...Macy's.   When it was over the neighbors started setting off fireworks.  We had storms in the background and storms later, but some fireworks were set off.  I bet we have round two tomorrow night and Saturday.

8) The Revolutionary War still raged during that summer of 1777. General George Washington allowed his soldiers to celebrate with a double ration of run on July 4. Do you know anyone who is serving in the military this 4th of July?  My nephew is in the military and is in officer training school right now.  He graduates soon.

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will/did you dine on to celebrate the 4th of July?  Fried chicken, mashed potatoes/gravy, corn on the cob, hot rolls.


4 comments:

  1. Yum on the July 4th menu, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn on the cob... so good!! Yes to bakery scents! I watched the Macy's 4th special too and thought it was lacking. The fireworks were good but the groups they had performing were not great (in my opinion). I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We DVR’d the fireworks show and haven’t seen it yet. But the last few years haven’t been great on TV. I’d love to see the Macy ‘s fireworks in person, though. It must be fantastic.

      Delete
  3. I love all your favorite scents! A little spicy, very autumnal. Thanks to your nephew for his service.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.