Pages

Friday, July 19, 2024

Saturday 9: Disco Duck

 



Saturday 9: Disco Duck (1976)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Rick Dees begins by describing a party where he can't resist that disco beat. What's the last party you attended? Was there dancing?  I am guessing it was a party at school with staff, but no dancing.

2) While this record was a massive international hit in 1976, it got off to an inauspicious start. Rick Dees said it took him less than a day to write the song, and more than three months to convince anyone to let him record it. Tell us about a time you were tempted to give up, but were glad you didn't.  I almost gave up on teaching, but I am so glad I didn't.

3) In the hit movie Saturday Night Fever, students are briefly seen learning to dance to "Disco Duck." Can you name another song from Saturday Night Fever no, I don't even think I have seen that movie.

4) Dees was already a top disc jockey in Memphis when "Disco Duck" was released. With the record's success, his radio career soared and he got a better job reaching a greater audience at a radio station in Los Angeles. Are there any disc jockeys you loyally listened to every day?  When I was young, the local DJ here was Woody P. Snow.  I listened to him or America's Top 40 on the weekend with Casey Kasem .

5) After more than 20 years, Rick lost his regular radio slot to Ryan Seacrest. But he still shares "the hottest music on the planet" through the Rick Dees Hit Music app (available at the Apple App Store or Google Play). What app have you recently downloaded to your phone?  Google Classroom ( I usually just look online, but decided why not have it on my phone).  There is a lot of information in there for school from our administrators.  I also have google drive, this gives me access to work stuff.

6) He used his favorite radio format to create a cookbook called Rick Dees All-Time Top 40 Greatest Desserts. If you could finish a delicious meal with the dessert of your choice, anything at all, what would you order?  There is a little tea house here that has homemade desserts.  She makes the best cake I have ever had.  I would choose some of her cake.  The one I had last was coconut cake.

7) In 1976, when "Disco Duck" was a hit, The Bionic Woman premiered on ABC. Because of her "bionic parts," Jamie Summers could run super fast, had super-sensitive hearing, and super-human strength. If you could have one of those qualities enhanced -- speed, hearing or strength -- which would you choose?  I think I would choose strength.  I feel as I age, I am getting weaker.  I do not need to be that fast and I can hear really well.

8) Also in 1976, like this year, the world got together for The Summer Olympics. Will you be following the international competition?  Absolutely!  I love the Olympics!

9) Random question: You're bone tired, exhausted, and you have an early day tomorrow. As you wash your face and brush your teeth before bed, one of the two bulbs in the bathroom fixture goes out. Do you 1) change the bulb before bed or 2) promise yourself to do it in a hurry tomorrow as you're rushing around in the morning or 3) decide you can live with one bulb for a while, go to bed, and replace the burned-out bulb when you get around it? #3..I would do it later.



 




7 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, my grandkids that go to public school use Google. The kids all get computers to do their assignments. I used to listen to Casey Kasem too. I have to make an effort to do strength training. As much as I eat, I do not eat enough protein to build muscle. You are still young, so do something everyday. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a Google Drive fan. I loved Casey Kasem! I also chose strength, as I get older I am definitely needing more strength! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved America's Top 40! I used to make tapes of the shows, way back when people did that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems all of us are procrastinators when it comes to lightbulbs! LOL We also seem to want more strength. Have a blessed evening and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always listened to American Top 40 with Casey Kasem growing up and our local station replays the shows every Sunday morning. I usually catch a little of it. It's fun looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listened to American Top 40 on Sunday mornings. I volunteered at an animal shelter and Casey Kasem kept me company when I was waiting for the bus. Golly, I hadn't thought about that in years!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.