Pages

Friday, July 12, 2024

Saturday 9: Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer

 



Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer


Saturday 9: Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer (1963)

 Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Nat King Cole sings about enjoying "soda and pretzels and beer." Which of those three would we find in your kitchen right now?  soda

2) The lyrics mention a romantic movie. Which movie couple do you believe had onscreen chemistry?  Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

3) He wishes "summer could always be here." How has your summer been so far?  busy

4) According to the song, a great warm weather meal includes sandwiches and weinies. Tell us about your perfect sandwich or, if you prefer, what you believe is the ideal way to dress a hot dog.  I am not much of a sandwich fan, but when I do have one, I prefer a warm sandwich.  I like a warm Club sandwich.

5) Nat was a big baseball fan. Growing up in Chicago he played sandlot games and listened to Cubs games on the radio. As an adult he was a season ticket holder at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Do you enjoy playing/watching baseball or softball?  I am currently watching the Cubs/Cardinals game.  I haven't been watching baseball much this summer, but I do enjoy the Cubs and Cardinals.  Tomorrow night the game will be called by Joe Buck and Chip Caray.  I am so excited.  They tried to do this earlier in the season and it rained, I grabbed a picture last time.  I hope we get to listen to them Saturday. ♥  It is of course a throw back to Jack Buck and Harry Carey.



6) The lyrics of this week's song were written by Charlie Tobias, who wanted to create a sense of nostalgia for summers gone by. Share one of your special summer memories.  Probably my favorite summer memory was when my sisters-in-law and I and our boys all went to Orange Beach, Alabama.  We had so much fun.  We went to San Antonio a different year.

7) In 1963, one of the best-selling books was Happiness Is a Warm Puppy by Charles Schultz. The cover showed Lucy giving Snoopy a big hug. Name another character from the Peanuts comic strip.  Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty, Woodstock, Schroeder.  I love Peanuts.

8) Also in 1963, men were wearing thin, solid-color ties. Later in the decade, ties would become wider, patterned and more colorful. Where do you turn to keep up with fashion trendsI watch what the trendy people at work wear.  I look for things that I would like and be comfortable in.

9) Random question: Would you rather be a cowboy or a pirate?  cowboy...I am watching Heartland this summer on Netflix.  I love it.



11 comments:

  1. The guys calling the game … it’s so important, it adds so much to the experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my beloved Anthony Rizzo was traded to The Evil Empire, I have become familiar with Yankees culture. I scoff when their announcers refer to the Yankees/Red Sox as "the greatest rivalry in sports." You and I know better, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 I guess that I can say my summer so far has been behind the steering wheel, driving to Cape Cod, driving to Maine to my brother’s and SIL condo, driving to Vermont for a camp-out, driving to New Hampshire for my cousin’s funeral.
    #4 I’m on a new kick, pressed sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I worked outside the home I would pay more attention to what I wear, I suppose. But since all I do is go to the grocery store, I just stick with jeans and t-shirts. I don't know what I'd do if I actually had to dress up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear yoga pants and t-shirts all summer. I don't even try. I have to look decent during the school year though. :(

      Delete
  5. I don't pay a lot of attention to style fads--I stick with a kind of boho, dressy casual look. I hate looking sloppy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of cowboys and girls who live in jeans and t-shirts - and I'm one of them! I enjoyed your answers, Lori! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comfort is number one for me. I am so glad I am retired, though busy with the grands.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.