Pages

Friday, May 1, 2020

Saturday 9- Little Things

            http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com/


 Little Things (1964)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Bobby Goldsboro celebrates the "little things" that delight him, like seeing his girl smile. What are some little every day things that reliably lighten your mood?  The sun being out makes me really happy, seeing my dogs and my family makes me happy, a favorite song on the radio makes me happy.

2) Bobby is a lifelong sports fan. While in high school, he came to terms with physical limitations -- slender build, slow speed -- that would prevent him from having a career as a professional athlete. That's when he turned his attention to music. Given your choice, would you rather make your living in music or sports? Explain your decision.  I will say music.  I use to want to sing on Broadway...can I sing good enough to be on Broadway?  NO!  However, I would not want to live in New York anymore.  I am too small town now...those wanting to live in the city days are over. Anyway, I would choose music because even if I was really good at sports, I am just not as passionate about playing sports as I am music (singing and dancing).  I AM pasionate about watching sports though.

3) Shortly before "Little Things" was released, Bobby toured England for two weeks, backing up Roy Orbison. They opened for The Beatles. Bobby fondly recalls spending time with Paul McCartney, teaching him how to imitate the croak of an Alabama tree frog. Are you good at imitations (human or otherwise)? 
goodness no.  

4) Back in the States, Goldsboro (again with Orbison) opened for the Rolling Stones in New York. Which band did you listen to more recently, the Stones or the Beatles? 
Rolling Stones, they play them on the radio here all of the time and never The Beatles...weird.

5) Bobby worked on projects with Burt Reynolds, doing the music for the movie Gator and the TV show Evening Shade. Burt said it was not only Bobby's musical ability but also his wit that made him fun to work with. What qualities do you value in a coworker?  positive attitude, upbeat, funny

6) These days, Bobby spends more time painting than performing music. He regularly donates his artwork to be auctioned off for charity. Have you ever tried your hand at painting?  no, that is actually one thing I regret...I never took art classes in school.  I was always in choir.  I wish now I would have at least taken one art class.  I am totally clueless at art.

7) In 1964, when this song was on the radio, women spent more on styling gels and sprays than they do today. Are you having a good hair day? Or has the pandemic made dealing with your hair something of an adventure? 
My hair is easy to do.  It is naturally curly, so honestly...these days, I just put it up in a messy bun and call it good.

8) Nationally and internationally, one of 1964's biggest news stories was the marriage of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. The bride wore a yellow dress and white and yellow flowers in her hair. The groom was decked out in a sedate dark suit with a red.  When was the last time you dressed up?  I don't get dressed up anymore.  I dressed up (for me) last summer for my nephew's wedding.  I wore a jump suit and black heels.  I did my nails and my toes.  I had on a necklace and bracelet (I never wear jewlery anymore).  I use to dress up a lot, I would even get my hair done in an up-do to go on a date sometimes.  I just am not comfortable anymore in dress clothes.

9) Random question: Imagine you're stranded on a desert island with a complete stranger. Would you prefer your one and only companion be a man or a woman? 
I would want to be with someone that knows how to do things and knows about things.  I am totally clueless. I would be a mess on an island.  I would eat poison berries, I wouldn't know how to catch food or build a good shelter.  This whole scenario makes me uncomfortable. 

12 comments:

  1. Fun questions!! I hope I am not stuck on an island with you, Lori, no offense!! (giggle) I would like your radio station... all Stones and no Beatles! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to be comfortable. Luckily the church I go to has dress casual. I usually wear dresses in the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves The Rolling Stones so we listen to them a lot (more than I do before he retired, that's for sure). Alexa has a Rolling Stones station that plays their songs and others like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS You don't want to live here anyways---8 weeks and counting of mandated house arrest with no signs of letting up. Just saying, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from NYC/Long Island. Right now we are in the epicenter of coronavirus, so you wouldn’t want to be here. But do come for a visit after this disaster is over, it’s still the greatest city in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re #9 - sounds like you'd be a terrible "Survivor" contestant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a wedding to go to this autumn and I was looking at jumpsuits! Your answer feels like validation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dont think anyone would like being stranded on an island. Yuk.. hard living at best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I know you didn't plan it that way, but you planted an ear worm. I'm going to be singing Small Town for the rest of the day. Yes, the curly hair is great on my really lazy days. I just don't do anything to it at all. Enjoy your sunshine! We even have a little bit of it here today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have wanted curly hair all.my.life. There is not quick messy bun for my pin straight mop, lol. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.