Pages

Friday, October 23, 2020

Saturday 9- Lights

 





Saturday 9: Lights (2011)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song was inspired by a young Ellie Goulding's fear of the dark. What scared you when you were a kid?  I was afraid of the dark for a short while.  I remember turning the light on in my closet once.
 
2) She thinks back to the room where her brother and sister slept and she felt safe. Did you share a room when you were growing up?  I am an only child, but my mom slept in my room with me for a while.  I hated that.  She stayed way too long.  I was not scared and did not need anyone sleeping with me.

3) Ellie Goulding grew up in public housing and worked her way through the University of Kent in Canterbury. Back in those days, her favorite job was theater usher because it offered her the perk of seeing plays for free. What's the most recent "freebie" you scored? (This includes a buy one/get one deal, extra points on your credit card, etc.)  My co-worker Tina brought me a candy bar this morning.  She brings me something about once a week like that.  She is so sweet.  She brings things to several people.
 
4) Even though today she is an international music star, Ellie still lives modestly. She describes herself as "still in university mode," and limits herself to $10/day for lunch. Where do you economize? $10/day for lunch?  I spend $2.50 for lunch.  I guess that is economizing.  I usually eat a chef salad at work.


5) Ellie has proclaimed herself "a cat lady" and often posts pictures of her cats to her Instagram account. What's the most recent photo you took?  I took pictures of my house decorated for fall.

6) Ellie appeared on Sesame Street. She, Elmo and Abby thanked clouds for raindrops, lakes, and the water we drink. Would you be thankful for a little rain this weekend?  I wouldn't mind.  We finally did got some rain and we do not need any now, but I do think it is supposed to rain more.

7) In 2011, the year "Lights" was a hit, Prince William married Kate Middleton. Ellie not only attended the wedding, she sang Elton John's "Your Song" for the couple's first dance. Tell us a song that reminds you of a romance in your life.  Hold on to the Nights by Richard Marx.  My boyfriend David and I broke up once in high school and he made me a tape with that song on it.  We did get back together.  I still think of David when I hear that song.
 
8) Also in 2011, AT&T abandoned their attempt to buy T-Mobile. Which company is your cell phone carrier? Are you happy with them?  Sprint.  They are great in the city, but I live in the country and spend almost all of my time in the country.  My husband insisted on that carrier.  They are fine I guess.  I wish they had better coverage and I think they did team with T-Mobile and our coverage is worse...how does that happen?

9) Random question: What recent experience made you feel old?  When I turned 50 in September I guess.  I really don't feel old.  Sometimes when my body is hurting I feel old.


10 comments:

  1. That's a good price for your chef salad. We eat a lot of salads and we use left overs in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any birthday that ends with a 5 or a zero makes me feel old! (And I've had a lot of 'em.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought $10 for lunch seemed like a pretty good amount, not on the frugal side at all. I was an only child...I am glad my mom didn't sleep with me. I worry about my grandson. He will be 4 in December and my daughter started him out sleeping with her because her husband works midnight shift. Now she'd like him in his own bed, but he refuses to go. He's too scared and he's got some pretty serious anxiety about anything new...people, situations, etc. My 30th was the only birthday that made me feel old, but the body...every day. I enjoyed your answers, Lori. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The year I turned 50 was a disaster and it's been mostly downhill since then. I was hoping for happy golden years. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought $10 for lunch was pretty steep too, lol. I usually have a salad made at home or a 1/2 sandwich, also made at home. Oh, yeah, cuz I work at home, lol. I guess that's the ONLY upside from the pandemic. We went permanently remote. Much cheaper than eating in the cafeteria at the hospital and driving 45 minutes each way, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe your MOm was scared... you are a teacher right? yes one can get good lunches cheap in school! lucky... I doubt even our homemade lunch is that cheap

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm turning 55 this week and I feel old. Well, I don't feel old but 55 seems old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your decorations for Halloween are spectacular. Huzzah! And, no, $10 isn't lot to pay for lunches,and if you get a salad lunch at most places it's around that much. Eating out at an actual restaurant isn't so cheap anymore.
    My sister loves out on the edge of the foothills, and she has coverage with something called Consumer Cellular. She has to move to different areas of her Condo to get a call out. what a sweetheart your co-worker is.
    Enjoy the weekend. Lots of Love..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I take a sandwich, pretzels, Jello for my lunch to work. I can not justify spending $10 a lunch. smiles. Have a great Saturday, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. $10 for lunch is actually the norm for NYC office workers. Food is expensive in Manhattan. Since I’ve been working from home I’ve saved a fortune.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.